Libyan authorities vowed on Monday to investigate the Sunday bombing of an Egyptian-run Coptic church in the coastal city of Misrata and pledged to arrest the perpetrators.
Two Egyptians were killed and two others wounded in a explosion on Sunday at the church.
In a joint press conference with the Libyan national security chief, the chairman of the Misrata local council called on religious leaders in the country to take responsibility for raising awareness about the attack.
The council chairman, Salim Beit Al-Mal, said that the council will cover the costs of repairing damage to the church.
Libyan public prosecution had been notified to conduct the investigation into the bombing, Al-Mal said.
Meanwhile, Interior Minister Ashour Shawayel called for cooperation of legal and criminal authorities in working to investigate the bombing and arrest the perpetrators.
Priest Timotheus Bishara, leader of the Egyptian Orthodox Church in Tripoli, said that the two injured in the bombing are in stable condition.
Edited translation from MENA
Tags: Egyptian Orthodox Church, on Monday, Timotheus Bishara, coastal city, Libyan national security, Interior Minister Ashour Shawayel, Salim Beit Al-Mal