Manpower and Immigration Minister Khaled al-Azhary said Monday the government would contact Jordanian Prime Minister Abdallah al-Noussour to discuss Egyptian citizens who are working illegally in Jordan.
The Jordanian authorities are cracking down and deporting illegal laborers for what they say are security and economic reasons, and in accordance with labor conventions and laws.
“The prime minister promised to resolve the problem with the labor and interior ministers,” Azhary said.
In a press release issued Monday, of which Turkish Anadolu News obtained a copy, Azhary said President Mohamed Morsy would personally intervene to resolve the problem with King Abdullah II if necessary.
He added that there are half a million Egyptian workers in Jordan, of whom 320,000 do not have work permits.
The Jordanian interior minister had told the Egyptian ambassador earlier this week that the authorities are cracking down on all foreign workers, not only Egyptians.Tags: Anadolu News, King Abdullah II, Manpower and Immigration Minister Khaled al-Azhary, President Mohamed Morsy, Abdallah al-Noussour, labor conventions, Egyptian citizens
Interior Minister Ahmed Gamal Eddin denied policemen were involved in shooting protesters with birdshot near the ministry, saying police only use tear gas to separate demonstrators and hold them back.
Health Ministry reports said that many of the dozens injured in clashes between security forces near the Interior Ministry and protesters were caused by birdshot. The encounters that broke out last Monday followed demonstrations commemorating the death of more than 40 in clashes near Mohamed Mahmoud Street last November.
In an interview with state-run newspaper Al-Ahram published Monday, Gamal Eddin said that, unlike wounds sustained by police, birdshot injuries sustained by protesters reveal they had been shot from close range. He claimed this meant the firing came from the demonstrations, not police.
The minister said Gaber Salah, an April 6 Youth Movement member who was pronounced dead Sunday, bore signs of birdshot injuries received from close range, despite the long distance between him and security forces during the demonstrations.
“The Interior Ministry had asked the Public Prosecution to search the scene of events and to inquire about the weaponry used by police forces so as to avoid false accusations to security forces,” he said. “Prosecutors had visited the area, but did not make any notes.”
“The [police] forces are the victims here,” the minister argued.
Gamal Eddin added that police have been deterring attacks on the Interior Ministry and the Shura Council.
He put forth that the security performance is faring well in general, but added that events in Tahrir Square and surrounding areas give the impression of a security void.
“We do not confront peaceful protests,” he claimed, adding that his ministry’s role is to secure important facilities.Tags: Gamal Eddin, Health Ministry reports, Interior minister, police forces
The police are handling rioters around Tahrir Square in accordance with the law, the interior minister said Sunday, calling on the media and political groups to go to the streets and see this for themselves.
Interior Minister Ahmed Gamal Eddin said his ministry respects peaceful demonstrations. “Yet some try to drive a wedge between the police and the demonstrators,” he said.
“The security forces in Tahrir Square carry no [live ammunition],” he added. “They only have shields, helmets, water [cannons] and teargas.”
“I ordered [the police] to only confront those who try to destroy public property,” Gamal Eddin said, explaining that the teargas being fired on Qasr al-Aini Street is blocking protesters from breaking into the Shura Council.
“The police will never fight the demonstrators,” he said, and called on all political forces to coordinate with the ministry to contain the events in Tahrir Square.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-YoumTags: political groups, Interior minister, Interior Minister Ahmed Gamal Eddin, accordance with the law, The police
The Two Saints Church lawyer in Alexandria and head of the Egyptian Center for Development Studies and Human Rights said the church has filed a lawsuit against President Mohamed Morsy and General Intelligence Services head Mohamed Refaat Shehata, saying investigations into the 2011 bombing have been inadequate.
Joseph Malak said the church filed a lawsuit against different state bodies and officials, which included the prime minister, interior minister and the public prosecutor for “diversion in the use of power” and “failure to complete the investigations into the bombing.”
Malak said that the Interior Ministry declined a request from an administrative court to disclose the fate of investigations on 5 September 2012. He accused the Interior Ministry of abusing its power.
Father Royce Mark, secretary general of the church, is coordinating with Pope Tawadros II to prepare a comprehensive report on the incident to compensate the victims’ families, Malak said.
Another report on the incident was submitted to presidential adviser Samir Morcos upon his request, but the church has not received a response yet on the issue, Malak added.
The church filed a lawsuit on 13 September 2011 against the interior minister, prime minister and public prosecutor alleging that the investigations were being carried out too slowly.
Coptic Church Millet Council secretary Kamil Seddiq said the church seeks a court ruling lifting the publication ban issued by the general prosecutor.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-YoumTags: Interior minister, Joseph Malak, human rights, Coptic Church Millet Council secretary Kamil Seddiq, Samir Morcos, Saints Church, the Egyptian Center for Development Studies
A senior leader at the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party said there are “clear indications” the US and Israel have played a role in the crises in Sinai and Gaza.
“In the past, we used to inquire about the roles of [former chief of intelligence] Omar Suleiman and [former interior minister] Habib al-Adly, but now, with crises in Sinai and Gaza, I am looking for the role of [Israeli home front minister] Avi Dichter and [US Ambassador to Egypt] Anne Patterson,” Mohamed al-Beltagy, a former MP and a member of the Constituent Assembly, wrote on his Facebook page Tuesday.
The Sinai Peninsula has been especially unstable since the January 2011 revolution deposed former president Hosni Mubarak and later brought the Brotherhood to power through elections. The area has seen repeated clashes between security forces and unknown gunmen. One assault in August killed 16 Egyptian officers.
“There are apparent signs of a new wave of planned chaos,” Beltagy wrote. “Clashes, catastrophes, recurrent problems, surprising hurdles to the new constitution, unprecedented media controversies … mounting political disagreements, are all the setting for an atmosphere of chaos.”
Beltagy blamed the new Egyptian regime’s slow decision-making, allowing the former regime figures to occupy vital posts, and failing to expose “the plot being formed.”
However, Beltagy said he is “confident the revolution will proceed despite all challenges and threats.”
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-YoumTags: constituent assembly, the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party, Omar Suleiman, Habib al-Adly, Avi Dichter, the Brotherhood, Interior minister
President Mohamed Morsy met with Interior Minister Ahmed Gamal Eddin on Tuesday to discuss security and ways to address widespread sexual harassment.
Presidential spokesperson Yasser Ali said that Gamal Eddin submitted a report to Morsy on the security situation in Egypt in general and during Eid al-Adha, noting that Morsy stressed to Gamal Eddin the interior ministry's responsibility to fight crime and harassment.
Ali said in a press conference that Gamal Eddin reported increased police presence during Eid al-Adha and noted that 1,006 criminal complaints were filed.
Morsy told the interior minister that human rights violations should not take place after the revolution and stressed that police performance must be improved, Ali added.
During Eid al-Adha, 727 cases of verbal and sexual harassment were reported, typically taking place in public areas such as malls, movie theaters, beaches, and squares, security sources said Monday.
Activists say that the police do not deal with harassment complaints properly and typically allow offenders to get away with their attacks.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm
Former President Hosni Mubarak and former Interior Minister Habib al-Adly will be retried on charges of killing peaceful protesters during the revolution, Justice Minister Ahmed Mekky said Thursday.
Mekky explained that the retrial is necessary because the previous hearing disregarded incidents that took place in governorates outside of Cairo.
Mekky told Al-Masry Al-Youm that the retrial would not cancel the previous ruling, but would add new sentences against the defendants if they are found guilty in incidents that were not considered in the first trial.
Cairo Appeals Court head Samir Aboul Maaty said he has not yet received any information on the subject.
Aboul Maaty refused to give a legal opinion of the retrial decision, saying, “I cannot give now an opinion in a case that I may later consider.”
The fact-finding committee formed to examine the killing of protesters during the 25 January revolution had requested the retrial.
Mubarak and Adly were found guilty of failing to prevent the killing of protesters and the Cairo Criminal Court sentenced them to life in prison in June. Six top security officials were acquitted on grounds that there was not sufficient evidence to convict them.
Committee head Mohamed Ezzat Sherbash sent a memorandum to the public prosecutor saying the court had built its judgment solely on the incidents in Tahrir Square, which falls under the jurisdiction of Qasr al-Nil police station, disregarding events in other areas in Cairo and the rest of the governorates. It has thus failed to answer to the public prosecution's charges in this regard.
The committee said its decision was based on the initial charges of participation in the murder and the attempted murder of protesters in the governorates of Cairo, Giza, 6th of October, Suez, Alexandria, Beheira, Gharbiya, Qalyubiya, Sharqiya, Daqahliya, Damietta and Beni Suef. State-run news agency MENA did not specify when the memo was sent.
According to the memo, the prosecution is allowed by law to bring the case back to the court for rulings on charges it has disregarded.
The June trial verdict sparked outrage among Egyptians, particularly regarding the acquittals of the six Interior Ministry officials.
Edited translation from MENATags: Samir Aboul Maaty, Mohamed Ezzat Sherbash, Habib al-Adly, Interior minister, peaceful protesters, Cairo Criminal Court, President Hosni Mubarak
A police report was filed Monday to the public prosecutor against former Interior Minister Mansour al-Essawy, calling for his name to be placed on the travel ban lists.
The report accuses him of forcing Major General Hassan Abdel Hamid, former assistant to the interior minister, to resign from his job after testifying against former President Hosni Mubarak in the case over the killing of demonstrators during the 25 January revolution.
The report was filed by lawyer Assem Qandil, who said in the report that Essawy forced Abdel Hamid to resign, which is a violation and an abuse of power since it breaks laws and regulations, according to state newspaper Al-Ahram.
Qandil that Abdel Hamid left his work in the police after he suffered financial and mental coercion from Essawy.
A court sentenced Mubarak and his former Interior Minister Habib al-Adly in June to life in prison on charges of complicity in the killing of protesters. Adly’s aides, however, were acquitted on the same charges.
Essawy served as interior minister in the interim government of former Prime Minister Essam Sharaf after it was formed in March 2011 until it was dismissed at the end of that year.Tags: Assem Qandil, Interior minister, Major General Hassan Abdel Hamid, President Hosni Mubarak
The Daily Star
UNESCO urges end to attacks on Libyan Sufi mosques, graves
Libya's interior minister said on Tuesday he would not risk a clash with the armed men carrying out the sectarian assaults, in an unusually candid admission of the scale of the security challenge facing the country. The League of Libyan Ulema, a group …
Libya Officials Seem Helpless as Sufi Shrines Are Vandalized