CAIRO: A few thousand Egyptian football fans, or Ultras, organized a march towards the presidential palace on Thursday night calling for President Mohamed Morsi to cancel the Egyptian league until the killing of 75 football fans in the city of Port Said earlier this year is resolved.
The Ahly football club fans have protested before, asking for a halting of matches, saying that the return of the national football league is “inappropriate” when justice has not been achieved for those killed in the violence.
A few days earlier, the sports ministry announced the return of the league on October 17, which raised the fan’s anger and saw them protest outside the ministry.
On February 1, at least 75 football fans were killed when riots broke out in the Port Said stadium between the visiting al-Ahly supporters and the host city’s fans.
Witnesses to the events in the Port Said violent attack said police and security personnel stood by and allowed the violence to spiral out of control, even locking fans inside and barring them from leaving the stadium.
Fans were thrown off the top level of the stadium, knifed and clubbed to death as video of security forces showed that they stood inside and failed to intervene in the violence.
BMTags: the Egyptian league, Presidential Palace, football fans, Egyptian football, national football league